Saturday, February 13, 2010

Homeward Bound



There are many moments from my childhood that are gone forever.

It isn't that they didn't happen, or that the usual milestones of childhood and personal development weren't significant. I simply don't remember them.

For example, I don't remember when I learned to walk. I can't remember a time when I couldn't read, but I know there was a time when I didn't know how to do that.

I guess I sort of remember when I learned to ride a bike.

Then there are my incomplete (or perhaps the word "imprecise" is better) memories. I have memories of being in kindergarten, but I don't remember the specifics, like dates. I have a vague memory of my first day, but I couldn't tell you everything we did on that day. And I remember the last day, when we went through a "graduation ceremony," and we marched into the room, the boys wearing blue caps and gowns, the girls wearing pink caps and gowns. I presume we were given "diplomas," although I am equally sure mine was lost long ago, and, instead of a commencement address, the teacher probably said a few words of thanks to the parents.

And that was it.

That's about as specific as my memories of kindergarten are. I have general memories of the kindergarten, of playing outside at recess. There was a pecan tree in the yard, and I remember taking my turn cracking pecans between two bricks. Ah, the simple pleasures of childhood.

I assume my kindergarten experience was a lot like anyone else's. At the time, of course, I was blissfully unaware of what was going on in the rest of the world, but yesterday was the anniversary of something that led to a memory that has stayed with me all my life. I just don't know if the memory was from when I was in kindergarten or if I had progressed to elementary school by that time.

It probably isn't important, you know. And, yet, it is important. If nothing else, it would fill a gap in my memory bank.

But I'm getting ahead of myself.

I couldn't tell you for sure what I was doing on Feb. 12, 1966, but, if it was a weekday, I was probably making Valentines in kindergarten. That day, Simon and Garfunkel's tune "Homeward Bound" debuted on Billboard's Top 100 at #5.

It was one of my mother's favorite songs, and she wasn't alone. It is a fan favorite, too.

I remember the day she brought home the 45 rpm single. She put it on our stereo and played it again and again. For hours. If I close my eyes, I can see that seven–inch record with a solid red Columbia label spinning on our turntable. And I can hear her singing along.

She played that record so many times that afternoon that I knew the words by heart before we sat down to supper. And I had never heard the song before that day.

The memory is vivid. I always think of Mom when I hear "Homeward Bound."

I just can't remember if I was still in kindergarten or if I had moved on to first grade when she got that 45 rpm single.

I wish I could.