Tuesday, February 06, 2018

R.I.P., John Mahoney



It was with great sadness that I learned yesterday of John Mahoney's death at the age of 77.

He wasn't the star of the Frasier program, which was one of my favorite TV series of the last couple of decades, but he was always good in it.

It is always a sign that I really like someone or something when I can't narrow my favorite of whatever it is to merely one.

For example, I was once asked to name one thing my grandmother used to make that I really liked. I couldn't answer that because I liked everything my grandmother made. She was the best cook I ever knew, and I'll be stunned if anyone surpasses her. Picking one thing she made would seem as if I had a preference for that over everything else she made, and that simply wasn't true.

Similarly, I can't name my favorite Frasier episode. I like several for a variety of reasons. I could never narrow it down to one.

But one thing that was consistent was Mahoney's role as the anchor of the show. His sons, Niles and Frasier, were flighty sorts who were often unrealistic in their expectations. Mahoney kept them grounded as best he could.

That wasn't always possible, but he did try.

I find it hard to name my favorite episode that focused primarily on Mahoney. There were some, and as I say he was always good, but he was probably best in his supporting role, delivering germane remarks at appropriate times.

I don't want to overlook his contributions to movies, either.

I guess my favorite movie in which Mahoney appeared was "Eight Men Out," the story of the Chicago Black Sox. He was known mostly as a stage actor, but you might be surprised to see how many movies he was in.

They were always better for his participation in them.

Rest in peace, Mr. Mahoney.