Sunday, March 15, 2009

Ron Silver Dies



Actor Ron Silver died of cancer today.

Much has been written of his political about–face, brought on by the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001. The event led him to abandon his lifetime of support for the Democratic Party and become an enthusiastic supporter of George W. Bush. He even spoke at the 2004 Republican National Convention.

Personally, I will not remember his politics as much as I will remember his role in my favorite political TV series, "The West Wing." Other people will tell you that they remember his performance as lawyer Alan Dershowitz in the film "Reversal of Fortune."

I didn't agree with his post-9/11 politics, but that did not prevent me from admiring his skill as an actor.

In my mind, his work as an actor and his political beliefs were two different things. I never felt that I could not appreciate one even though I disagreed with the other. John Podhoretz has written a brief yet eloquent tribute to Silver for Commentary magazine. I encourage you to take a few minutes to read it.

I mourn Silver's passing. And I'm grateful he was here.