Tuesday, October 06, 2009

An Evening of Goldie



I have a confession to make.

When I was a boy, I had a crush on Goldie Hawn, the ditzy blonde from television's Rowan & Martin's Laugh–In. She kind of played on that image when she moved from TV to movies, especially in three movies she made in the late 1960s and early 1970s — "Cactus Flower," "There's a Girl in My Soup" and "Butterflies Are Free."

Her performance in "Cactus Flower" was rewarded with an Oscar for Best Supporting Actress in 1969, when she was in her early 20s. I liked it, but I guess I liked "Butterflies Are Free" better. That movie, by the way, also won Best Supporting Actress, but not for Hawn. The statuette went to Eileen Heckart.

And you can see both of those movies tomorrow night on Turner Classic Movies, along with "There's a Girl in My Soup" and "Foul Play," the 1978 comedy/crime drama in which she co–starred with Chevy Chase.
  • "Foul Play" is on at 7 p.m. (Central). It is followed by

  • "Butterflies Are Free" at 9 p.m. (Central), which is followed by

  • her Oscar–winning performance in "Cactus Flower" at 11 p.m. (Central). Others in the cast were Walter Matthau and Ingrid Bergman. And night owls can see

  • "There's a Girl in My Soup" at 1 a.m. (Central). The film also starred Peter Sellers.
Ironically, one of the actresses she beat for the Oscar, Dyan Cannon, can be seen in "Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice" at 2:45 a.m. (Central).