Monday, August 10, 2009

For a Friend



As you may have noticed, I like posting videos with my blog posts. I write three blogs — this one, as well as a blog about current events/history and a blog about sports. And I've posted videos on each one.

Most of the time, I prefer to post videos on my blogs when they are relevant to something I am writing about — an anniversary of some kind, the birthday or death of someone famous, something like that.

I like posting videos, mainly because it is my way of sharing something that is meaningful to me with my readers. And I especially like doing it here, because this is my entertainment blog.

Well, this evening I was chatting with an old friend of mine on Facebook, and we were reminiscing about our high school days. She's been encouraging me because I have been unemployed for quite awhile, but there may be some light at the end of the tunnel for me, after all. I was asked to come in to interview on Thursday for a job as a music editor for a local online news website. She told me that she thinks this interview is the start of good things for me, and I really want to believe that is true.

Of all the people I knew in high school, she was probably the most trustworthy.

My friend was an accomplished musician when we knew each other in high school, and I visited her many times in her home. On one of those occasions, she introduced me to the recordings of Maynard Ferguson. We talked a little about him tonight.

Ferguson is deceased now. As a matter of fact, one week from Sunday will be the third anniversary of his death. I suppose I could have waited until then to post this video. But I wanted to take this opportunity to share a video of him performing now.

Because he isn't performing just any song in the attached video clip. He's performing one of the first songs my friend played for me all those years ago.

And I want this song to be in my head when I go in for my interview.

It's symbolic, I suppose. But it's also a damn fine rendition of "Gonna Fly Now," the theme from the 1976 movie "Rocky," the story of an underdog, seemingly past–his–prime boxer who gets a shot at the heavyweight title and almost pulls it off.

Thanks, Phyllis. It's good to have you in my corner.